Fire extinguishers are widely used in fire fighting. Despite the fact that there are many types of fire extinguishers, they are used only at the initial stages of fires. Type of fire extinguisher should be chosen respectively burning material and situation. Fire extinguishers should be located in an accessible place.
Types of fire extinguishers:
- Water fire extinguisher, once opened, is used until the end, and the water in it is applied to the fire with a lot of pressure.
- There is sodium bicarbonate in the structure of powder fire extinguishers. It prevents the access of oxygen from the air to the burning substance. Can be used in all situations. Do not forget that spilled powder must be carefully cleaned. Fire extinguishers of this type are beneficial from point of view of effectivenes and cost, it is convenient to store in cars. But keep in mind that if you use this type of fire extinguishers in enclosed areas you can damage the respiratory system.
- Upon contact with air chemical substances in the foam extinguisher, carbon dioxide is formed, which covers the burning material as the curtain. In addition, the liquid part of the foam absorbs heat by evaporating and cools the burning. They can not be used in places where there are vehicles and equipment.
- There is carbonic acid anhydride in carbon dioxide fire extinguishers. It is ideal for any fire and do not spoil any equipment or materials. As carbon dioxide does not transmit electricity it can be used in fires in electrical appliances, high-voltage lines. While using liquid gas from a cylinder it provides a powerful cooling effect and partly converting into dry ice attracts most of the heat to itself. Since these extinguishers are not harmfull, they can be used with confidence in areas where there are paintings, books, rugs, and other valuables. Gas from the fire extinguisher is not toxic but can cause suffocation. Therefore, the places where they are used, should be in control.
- Another type of fire extinguisher is universal and used while ignition of fluids, irregular surfaces (engine, printing houses, high voltage equipment, expensive and sophisticated equipment, airplanes). Since this type of extinguisher is toxic, they should not be used in unventilated areas. This type of extinguisher is rarely used because of the high cost.
The primary extinguishing devices include: fire extinguishers, fire protection, fire hoses, ground and underground hydrants, foam generators, automatic fire extinguishing system, fire accessories.